Monday, August 29, 2011

029

Hurricane Irene came and went, leaving our backyard an array of leaves and our house regrettably without power.  The local damage was minimal.  Our neighborhood was merely plagued by a storm of leaves--my father cleaned up our yard within twenty-four hours.  As for the surrounding area: the road immediately outside of my neighborhood is still closed, two days later.  We are currently at hour forty-two without electricity; and in an area that depends on well water, this means: no shower, no toilet, and no sink.  Now, I know you're thinking that I smell like a hobo on the side of the highway. 

On day one, I resigned myself to smelliness.  I called out of work due to lack of shower and two closed roads outside my neighborhood.  When my parents went to the Orioles game in the evening, I stayed at home, listening to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, a book on CD.  I worked on a jigsaw puzzle by flashlight, and I cooked steak and eggs on the grill. 

On day two without power, we kindly asked our neighbors if we could use their shower--they have a generator pumping energy through their entire house, including their water heater.  After a quick shower, my father returned home with a *ta-da* generator.  Ours does not have the capacity to juice up our well water, but it's enough to power our refrigerator, two freezers, a television, our outdoor pond filter--after the loss of two fish, it was necessary--my mother's computer, and FioS.  In short, we are working with what my mother would consider the bare minimum.

Personally, I could do without the television; while I love watching mindless, trashy television--and, of course, 1 Girl, 5 Gays--I don't really need television.  I discovered I really don't need internet either.  While I checked Facebook occasionally from my Blackberry, I didn't need to waste hours online--especially on such limited battery.

It's nice to know that when I move out on my own--and need to give up the luxuries I'm used to, like 900 channels--I will be able to manage with less than what I am used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment