Tuesday, July 12, 2011

001

Name one thing you feel brings out the good in people.

This is going to sound strange and a little morbid, but I think death really depicts the true nature of humanity.  During my senior year of high school, my uncle died.  He wasn't a good man.  He was a veteran, and he used that to his advantage.  He smoked and drank and rarely worked.  He lived his life off of money from the V.A. and cheated on his wife.  He was white trash in every sense of the word, and yet at his funeral I found myself wiping tears from my eyes, remembering Thanksgiving dinner when he'd sit at the head of the table and saying the blessing.

When a person dies, things change.  There is no longer any reason for resentment, because it's not as if they will ever know how you feel about them.  You're suddenly allowed to openly cherish the good moments you shared together, instead of feeling the need to criticize their downfalls as a human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment